I'm sure by now we all have heard of the infamous "Tide pod challenge," but here's a real challenge for you kids―helping mom out with laundry! Laundry is one of the most infuriating never-ending chores, however, it doesn't need to be your responsibility alone! The little folks in your house can be taught to help out when it comes to washing clothes.
Because laundry detergent is a cleaning agent, it is important to make sure that if you are letting your little ones help, that you are teaching them how to use laundry detergent safely.
Every year, many accidents occur in the homes of young children due to kids having toxic exposure to cleaning supplies. The best thing you can do to keep your kids safe is to monitor them closely, keep things locked up when not in use, and teach them how to use theses cleaning agents properly.
How To Teach Kids To Properly Use Laundry Detergent
The first thing you should do to help teach kids to use laundry detergent is to make sure they understand that it is a cleaning agent, and should NEVER be ingested. If your kids are still at the age where they are at risk of eating or licking the product, then they are not yet ready to be helping with this task.
It's probably a good idea to go over hazard labels with your child and talk about what they mean. According to the American Cleaning Institute, you should always wash your hands after handling detergents, never mix detergents, and keep all cleaning supplies in their original containers that have the proper labels.
READ THIS: The 10 Best Laundry Detergents of 2019
It's important to keep detergents in a safe place, and this is something you can stress to your older children as well. Before getting your kids to help out, have them watch and you can explain the measures you are taking for safety.
The best thing you can do is to show them the right way to handle cleaners, explain the importance of safety and why, and make sure that their access when you aren't present to supervise is limited.
Laundry can be a chore that your kids can help with, if you take the precautions to ensure their safety.
If swallowed, drink a glass of water or milk and contact the Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) or doctor right away.