www.moms.com

Is That Popular Mall Treat 'Dragon's Breath' Really Safe For Kids?

dragon's breath

Gone are the days when kids are excited and impressed with an ordinary trip to get ice cream. Nope. Not today's kids. They want something exciting or an element of surprise, even, with their desert and companies everywhere are giving it to them. The latest craze to hit malls and fairs across the country is something called Dragon's Breath and it might just be as dangerous as it sounds. One mom is sharing their story and cautioning parents everywhere to pass this treat by.

First things first: what exactly is Dragon's Breath? It is a seemingly simple dessert, made from multi-colored cereal that has been freeze dried using liquid nitrogen. Once kids gobble it down, "dragon's breath" or smoke comes of out their nose and mouth, so they can pretend they are actually a dragon. Sounds cool, but there is definitely a big warning that needs to go hand in hand with this colorful treat.

Saint Augustine, Florida mom, Racheal Richard McKenny recently treated her two kids to a Dragon's Breath at their local mall. Her 7-year-old son, Johnny, is asthmatic and has a very scary reaction to the liquid nitrogen, she shared in a Facebook post.

Dragon’s Breath WARNING I want to share Johnny’s story with everyone to serve as a cautionary tale in hopes that it...

Posted by Racheal Richard McKenny on Wednesday, July 25, 2018

While she typically carries her son's inhaler with her, even though he rarely needs to use it, on this day, she didn't have it handy. The family left their mall and got in the car for the 40 minute drive home and Johnny started coughing in the back seat and was unable to catch his breath. She shared that, "around 20 minutes in, the cough became really consistent. By the time we passed the Palencia sub division, he was coughing so bad that he was having trouble catching his breath. We knew he couldn’t breathe, and we knew that we couldn’t get him to the hospital in time."

Thankfully, Racheal's husband, John McKenny, realized that they were near a fire station, so they headed there for help. "The EMTs were able to immediately start Johnny on an albuterol treatment and hook him up to an IV while preparing him for transport. The nebulizer was not improving his breathing at all and, by the time they got him loaded into the ambulance, he needed a shot of epinephrine. Johnny had a second breathing treatment and steroid on the way to the hospital and was doing so much better by the time we got to Flagler Hospital," she shared.

PREVIOUSLY: What Is A ‘Safe’ Sleepover, And When Is Your Kid Ready?

The doctors came to the conclusion that the liquid nitrogen from the desert was to blame, as it can be dangerous - and isn't the first time the desert has harmed a child. Today reported back in 2017 after a 14-year-old girl burned her hand after touching a Dragon's Breath snack that, “First is rapid significant damage to the skin and body if swallowed ... Liquid nitrogen is what’s used by dermatologists to burn things off skin so we know it can be destructive to tissue."

Johnny is home, safe and doing well, but this serves as a warning to all parents, whether your children have asthma or not. Like most moms, it didn't even occur to Racheal that letting her children have a seemingly innocent treat could cause this type of reaction, but we must be careful at all time. She also urges moms of asthmatic kids to make sure that you have their inhaler with you at all times.

READ NEXT: 5 Tips For Keeping Kids Safe At Theme Parks

This 11-Year-Old Ballerina Has Made History

More in Lifestyle