Finding a household cleaning product that not only actually cleans those tough stains but is safe for the entire family to use is a wonderful thing. The Magic Eraser debuted in 2003 and quickly became a favorite cleaning product of people everywhere for its ability to remove everything from crayon marks to scuffs on walls and floors to that pesky soap ring in your bathtub. It was also easy enough to use that you could give them to your kids and have them use it to do their cleaning chores around the house.
But thanks to a pesky little rumor that circulated widely on the internet, many questioned whether their new favorite cleaning tool was actually toxic, and whether or not the product was actually safe to use. Many assumed the product contained formaldehyde, but thanks to the fact checking website Snopes, which should be your first stop anytime you read something online you're not sure is true or not, the rumor that Magic Erasers were toxic was debunked.
"Be assured Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is completely safe when used according to directions, and poses no health risks or safety concerns," P&G wrote about it's popular product. "The ingredients in Magic Eraser have been safely and commonly used for many years in a wide range of household products. Formaldehyde is not and has never been an ingredient in Magic Eraser. One ingredient in Magic Eraser (formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer) contains the word 'formaldehyde' in its chemical name. However, this ingredient is not formaldehyde and poses no health or safety risks. (Think of this name like 'sodium chloride,' which is table salt. Sodium by itself can be dangerous, but sodium chloride — salt — is safe.)" they continued. "In fact, no ingredients in Magic Eraser are subject to any health-related labeling laws in North America or in the European Union."
While Magic Erasers aren't toxic, Proctor & Gamble does recommend treating the sponge-like product with as much care as you'd give any other cleaning product in your home.
"Magic Eraser is considered non-toxic," they explained. "As with any sponge-like product, when swallowed this product may block the gastrointestinal tract. Therefore, we do advise to keep this product out of the reach of children and pets to avoid accidental ingestion — it is not a toy. "
So rest assured the next time you stock up on cleaning supplies that Magic Erasers pose no toxic threat to your family.
Leave A Comment
Looking for an AD FREE EXPERIENCE on Moms?Get Your Free Access Now!