Moms Viral Post Reminds Parents Of The Importance Of Laundry Room Safety


There are many hidden dangers for our children in our homes, and one mom's now viral Facebook post is shedding light on the potential dangers of front loading washing machines.

Lindsey McIver recently shared a very scary situation that happened in her home after she and her husband purchased a front loading washer. The mother of three wrote that she was initially afraid to share her story out of fear of the constant mom shaming we see on the internet. She decided it was more important for parents to realize the importance of laundry safety and wrote about what happened when her two youngest children decided to explore the new washing machine.

laundry room
Credit: iStock / irina88w

"First, because of the inevitable online mom-shaming that is bound to ensue; and second, because it’s just really hard to re-live," she wrote of her hesitation to share her story.

McIver explains that after her washing machine broke, she and her husband invested in a new, front loading machine. She reiterated that she and her husband had both explained to their kids they weren't to touch the new appliance and they all seemed to be in agreement. Then things took and incredibly scary turn.

"Early Tuesday morning we were woken up by our four-year-old son who was crying so hard he could barely talk. As I was trying to understand what he was saying, my husband flew out of bed and down the stairs. It was then that the realization hit. He had said: Kloe. Inside. Washer," she wrote. What happened next was every parent's worst nightmare.

PREVIOUSLY: Why You Should Be Extra Careful With Your Child On Public Playgrounds

"By the time we reached the laundry room in the basement, my three-year-old daughter Kloe was LOCKED inside the airtight washing machine. It was tumbling and filling with water."

Thankfully, McIver and her husband were able to unlock the machine and get Kloe out safely, having only suffered a few bumps and bruises. The entire accident was terrifying for all involved and McIver decided to share their experience to warn other parents who may not realize the dangers a washing machine could pose.

Given that it was a brand new machine, the McIver's had yet to fully explore it's features, which include a child safety lock. However McIver noted that the child lock only prevents the machine from being turned on while engaged, it doesn't keep the door locked. McIver hopes that by sharing her scary story any other parent or grandparent who has curious little ones around will always keep the child lock on their front loading washing machine engaged.

It seems that parents can't share their very real and very honest parenting mistakes on social media anymore without being shamed, but McIver felt that it was worth sharing her own story if it helped other parents realize the danger that could be present in their own homes.

I’ve been hesitant to write this post. First, because of the inevitable online mom-shaming that is bound to ensue; and...

Posted by Lindsey McIver on Wednesday, July 11, 2018

"I realize that there are ways we could’ve prevented this from happening," she wrote. "This is the season for swimming pool accidents and kids being left in hot cars and all sorts of other horrible accidents. And that’s what most of them are. Accidents. Shaming the mom doesn’t do anyone any good. We need to be open and honest about our mistakes to help one another keep our kids safe. And trust me, that mom is already beating herself up enough."

READ NEXT: There Are New High Chair Safety Standards Coming

Having A Planned Delivery May Reduce Impact Of Potentially Fatal Pregnancy Complication

More in Parenting