www.moms.com

JoJo Siwa's View On Internet Haters Is A Great Message For Kids

jojo siwa

If you've got a kid between the ages of 6 and 12, then there's a very good chance that you know exactly who JoJo Siwa is and why the kiddos seem to love her so much. The singer, dancer, and giant hair bow designer has a massive following on social media. She got her start as a dancer on the controversial show Dance Moms, but once JoJo went out on her own, her career has been unstoppable. Her line of accessories at stores like Target and Claire's is a hit among tweens, her videos are adorable and rack up millions upon millions of likes on YouTube, and she's even got a solo tour planned for 2019. And she's just 15 years old! There's no denying that JoJo Siwa is a star.

But, as anyone with a large social media following and any level of fame will tell you, it comes with some pretty heavy drawbacks. It's hard enough to deal with haters and rudeness from peers at that age, but when it comes to social media, it's in your face constantly. So how does JoJo deal with the dark side of the internet? Her take on it is inspiring.

We will never understand why people are so mean and cruel to strangers on the internet. But JoJo Siwa has been ridiculed for everything from her music to her forehead for years. Yes, her forehead! Apparently, JoJo's haters love to focus on her hairline. They've said that she looks like a 60-year-old man, that her hairline is receding, and that she has a "five-head". She's been called a brat. She's been called ugly. People leave comments on her videos saying they hate her. It's a lot for a teen to absorb.

So how does JoJo deal with it all?

She told TODAY Style that while she reads some of the comments, she blocks certain words so her fans can't read them too. But mostly she just deletes, blocks, and moves on. JoJo says that for every bad comment, there are so many good ones, and she tries to focus on those! She also seems to have a great head on her shoulders. She says, "The thing I learned about fame is that it isn't 100 percent good things — in all reality, it's 99 percent good things." The other 1% can be hard to deal with, says JoJo. But she loves what she does and who she is, so she chooses to focus on the positive and ignore the hate.

JoJo credits her friends and family for helping build her confidence to the point where she can withstand the hate. She says they're always there for her, and are supportive of all she does. And she has some advice for other young people out there: "My motto is, always believe in yourself, and always follow your dreams. And I think that's super important because you can literally do whatever you put your mind to." With that kind of confidence, there's no stopping her!

READ NEXT: JoJo Siwa Just Added 28 More Dates To Her Tour

Teens Who Don’t Date May Be More Well-Adjusted & Less Depressed, New Study Finds

More in Parenting