With summer like temperatures finally here that means more and more kids enjoying the outside. Summer temperatures also bring with it a host of other worries that parents have about keeping their kids safe.
Pool and water safety is of utmost concern to many parents once the warm weather hits, as is having the proper sun protection for their children. There's one hidden danger that many parents may not think about that they definitely need to be aware of.
The Las Vegas Fire and Rescue department recently posted a warning to all parents who love to help their kids and pets cool off by hooking up the household garden hose to a sprinkler for some fun outdoor play, or simply spraying their kids to cool them off. In a picture posted to their Twitter page, the Las Vegas Fire and Rescue department showed just what can happen when a child is sprayed with a garden hose that has been left in the sun, allowing the water to heat to almost boiling temperatures.
"Here in Las Vegas, a garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees which can cause burns especially to children & animals," they wrote alongside a heartbreaking picture of a little one whose skin is burned and blistered. "Let the water flow a few minutes to cool before spraying on people or animals."
Here in Las Vegas, a garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees which can cause burns especially to children & animals. Let the water flow a few minutes to cool before spraying on people or animals. pic.twitter.com/FMkzEt27xl— Las Vegas FireRescue (@LasVegasFD) June 4, 2018
According to Arizona Family, the little boy in the picture, Nicholas Woodger was just 9-months-old when his mother inadvertently sprayed him with the garden hose while she was filling up his kiddie pool in the backyard. This is something so many parents do and many don't even realize how hot the water in a hose can get when left sitting in the sun.
Woodger's mother, Dominique Woodger, wanted to share her story in the hopes of preventing something like this from happening to any other parents. The fire department posted their own warning to help get the news out to parents and caregivers they need to pay extra attention to hose water in the warmer months.
While you may not live in an area where the temperatures reach as high as they do in Las Vegas, it's still a very important reminder that it never hurts to be vigilant and check the water temperature before exposing your children or pets.
Leave A Comment
Looking for an AD FREE EXPERIENCE on Moms?Get Your Free Access Now!